In every Tennessee classroom, teaching and learning looks different based on the textbooks, curricula, and lessons that school and teacher have chosen. The state has a responsibility to make sure these varied learning opportunities are preparing all students for college, career, and life. FCS participates in all state mandated assessments. Results are shared with stakeholders via the state report card found on the state website (see link below). In addition, individual student reports are sent home by the district when they are received from the state.
Our state tests serve multiple objectives:
- Provide feedback about students’ academic progress and how it aligns with grade-level expectations
- Give parents and teachers a big-picture perspective about how a student is progressing compared to peers across the district and state, including a student’s strengths and growth opportunities
- Build confidence and transparency about students’ readiness for postsecondary and the workforce among Tennessee colleges, universities, and employers
- Help educators strengthen instruction and reflect on their practice
- Hold us accountable to serving all students fairly
- Highlight schools where students are excelling, so we can learn from those who are doing well
TNReady is a part of the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) and is designed to assess true student understanding, not just basic memorization and test-taking skills. It is a way to assess what our students know and what we can do to help them succeed in the future.
Visit https://www.tn.gov/education/assessment.html for more info.