In every Tennessee classroom, teaching and learning looks different based on the textbooks, curricula, and lessons that school and teacher have chosen. The state has a responsibility to make sure these varied learning opportunities are preparing all students for college, career, and life.
Our state tests serve multiple objectives:
- Provide feedback about students’ academic progress and how it aligns with grade-level expectations
- Give parents and teachers a big-picture perspective about how a student is progressing compared to peers across the district and state, including a student’s strengths and growth opportunities
- Build confidence and transparency about students’ readiness for postsecondary and the workforce among Tennessee colleges, universities, and employers
- Help educators strengthen instruction and reflect on their practice
- Hold us accountable to serving all students fairly
- Highlight schools where students are excelling, so we can learn from those who are doing well
TNReady is a part of the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) and is designed to assess true student understanding, not just basic memorization and test-taking skills. It is a way to assess what our students know and what we can do to help them succeed in the future.
Visit https://www.tn.gov/education/assessment.html for more info.